Dorset Business Angels brings you some of the best Angel Investment Opportunities both locally and nationally to your door.
We are completely engaged with the economic, education and investor communities, both regionally and internationally. We are registered with the UK Business Angels Association (UKBAA), engaged with MP's, council leaders, universities, regional banks, financial institutions, professional bodies, other angel networks, entrepreneurs and business networks. We are firmly established as the Angel Network for South Central UK.
Key Benefits Include
- Access to four Pitch Presentation events each year.
- Exclusive access to our members' only webpage where we share exclusive UKBAA events, Investor news and information, and additional investment opportunities outside of events
- Member news alerts via email.
- Networking with like-minded High-Net-Worth and Sophisticated Investors.
- Opportunities to share in funding rounds from previous pitches.
- Introducing the new focal point for Angel Investing across the UK – the UKBAA Angel Hubs
- News and opportunities from UK Business Angels Association with 30+ networks, VCs and crowdfunding partners plus links to our network of financial partners.
- We are partners to Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra and have access to specific events, tickets and offers.
- A Dorset Business Angels' Facebook page, a LinkedIn Group and a Twitter site.
- An Investors' Conference with national speakers, every two years, read about our last conference.
- We are sponsored by Saffery Champness Chartered Accountants tax experts available to advise, Investec Wealth & Investment and Laceys Solicitors.
Our experienced professional team offer a carefully selected range of high growth companies, all of which receive investment ready training and preparation to aid the investment process prior to our regular company presentation events. We already have a solid reputation for providing access to some of the hottest deals in the UK.
A Minimum of Four Company Presentation Pitch Events per Year
At Dorset Business Angels we hold four Investors' Dinner Company Presentation Events each year identified through our extensive deal flow sources, plus opportunities via our website and other sector specific events.
See News sidebar for this year's upcoming dinner events.
These events also offer extensive opportunities for networking with Dorset Business Angels, Investors and our extended network before and after the pitch session. The events are held in Bournemouth with refreshments and the opportunity to join us for a 2 course dinner with wine and coffee.
Dorset Business Angels has already held its first dinner with MP's, council leaders and key local leaders. This will continue in order to share our work with the local business network.
Our members’ only bulletin provides alerts to key information shared via our members' only web page.
Members Only Webpage
Our members’ only webpage provides local investor information, news from UKBAA with national and international investor news plus we provide details of additional investment opportunities as and when they arise.
Benefits of Angel Investment
Angel Investment comes in many shapes and sizes. Investments from as little as £5K help businesses advancing their growth, enables you to add value in more ways than financial, and is potentially highly tax efficient. And you join an established, respected and successful network of like-minded business people.
You are potentially eligible for tax relief on your investments – win or lose. The Enterprise Investment Scheme (EIS) can provide tax benefits, whether your investment succeeds or fails. In summary, if your investment is successful:
- you get an immediate 30% repayment on the amount you invested (50% in certain situations)
- capital gains are taxed at NIL%
- inheritance tax is at NIL% if you invest in your children’s names
If your investment is unsuccessful:
- a further tax deduction of up to 50% of your net investment is available
Key factors which have been shown to influence positive returns are:
- taking a portfolio approach
- investing in what you know
- do due diligence
- follow your investment
Dorset Business Angels, with the support of the UK Business Angels association, is able to provide resources for investors and entrepreneurs, this includes:
- access deal flow, regular exchange between investors and those engaged in the angel finance market
- access to Government(s), key opinion and decision makers
- raising awareness and promoting angel investment
- promoting good practice and establishing industry standards
- as a resource of information, expertise, market intelligence, key trends for both investors, entrepreneurs and their advisers.
Join Dorset Business Angels : Now
Membership is just £30 per calendar year, invoiced annually on January 1st each year (irrespective of when in the year you join). There is no upfront joining fee.
As is required by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) our regulatory body; self-certification is needed to be a member. You can read more about self-certification here. Membership payment is automatically renewed unless you cancel. To register your interest in becoming a member and to request a self-certification document - please let us have your details and a link to the document will be provided.
Frank Guinn Vice Chair and experienced angel investor on how the investment process works
When you attend one of our evening pitching events, you will see at least four presentations, each lasting 15 minutes from start-ups or early-revenue companies, who are seeking finance from our members. Each presentation is then followed by 10- minute Q & A session. At this point, the company leaves the room whilst members and guests discuss the attributes of the product or service in relation to the amount equity on offer and the level of funding required.
At the discussion, members are asked if they wish to express an interest. This does not commit a member to an investment at this point. It is merely an indication that they wish to be included in the due-diligence process, which will then commence and be organised by an experienced ‘lead’ investor, who will Chair the group.
During the course of the next 3/4 weeks, interested members will be provided with further detailed information and be invited to attend meetings with the Company’s officers, usually at their business premises.
The aim of the due-diligence process is to provide members with sufficient information that will to allow them to obtain a true picture of the business, before making any investment decision. Typically, it will aim to cover the following:-
- A thorough review of the Business Plan
- The financial forecasts
- The valuation of the Company prior to any investment from our members
- The potential of the product or service to disrupt the market in which it will be competing
Following the above review meetings, potential investors will then be asked for some indication of the level of investment they wish to make. There is still no firm commitment required at this stage and members may withdraw from any further involvement.
When everyone is satisfied that they have sufficient information about the Company, the group may then make an offer to the Directors, for some or all of the funding required against a ‘pre-money’ valuation that may or may not be the same as that placed on the Company, by its Directors.
If you have an questions please contact me by email.