Where talent and investors meet
We invest in start-up and early stage high-growth businesses pitched to us at our Investors’ Dinners which run four times a year.
Dorset Business Angels (DBA) provide quality, private equity investment opportunities to local High Net Worth (HNW) and Sophisticated Investors (SI).
We help early stage businesses find equity capital, especially in southern England, as it is our local area.
We do this by bringing our Investors and Entrepreneurs together to accelerate the growth of early stage businesses.
What are Business Angels?
We are all HNW and / or Sophisticated Investors:
Business angels are people from a wide variety of backgrounds, men and women, of all ages who invest their own money into startup and early stage high growth businesses. In return for a share of the equity. Typically a business angels are:
- Individuals willing to risk their own cash as seed capital for early stage businesses.
- Successful “exited” entrepreneurs.
- Retired senior executives.
- Family or inherited money.
- Those who are involved with their own business with access to funds.
- Those willing to invest time as well as cash.
- Wanting to “give back” and have fun!
- Considerable in number - UK Business Angels Association UKBAA (our Trade Body) estimates there are 18,000 investors among its 160 member organisations.
- The largest source of investment collectively for the UK's startups and early stage businesses with an estimated £1.5b p.a.
Our Pitch Events
There are four pitch events per year, held in February, April, June and October. Usually hosted at the Bournemouth Carlton Hotel or virtually via Zoom.
Registration to our next event on February 1st 2021 is via our Eventbrite page. Please be aware that virtual events will run whilst social distancing is advised. The format of the October event will be virtual.
At each pitch event there will be 5 business presentation pitches of 10-15 minutes, to suit all investor appetites. These will be selected by the Dorset Business Angels directors nearer to the event. Short summaries will be posted to our Pitch Event page and distributed via our bulletin ahead of the event. Each pitch includes a Q&A session and is followed by a investor debate, held privately.
These pitches and our other social events are ideal opportunities for networking and learning about what is new and trending in a variety of industries. If you would like to be involved you can find out more on our Investors Membership page.